Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Field Trip--Navasota

To get to know our area better, our first full summer in Texas I decided to do Field Trip Fridays with my children. But where to start? As a child, libraries were magical to me. I grew up in the Midwest where the libraries were huge and easy to come by. I have fond memories of visiting the St Paul Public Library where I would delight in watching puppet shows and playing in the coolest indoor amphitheater in the children's section. I wonder if that amphitheater is still there?

While living in Iowa, we lived near the best library there ever was: It's the thing I miss the most!

Since we had already visited the College Station and Bryan libraries, I got out my Map app and looked for cities surrounding College Station that were large enough for a public library. I googled "public library" in whichever town I decided on and the first one on my list was Navasota. Its about a 25-30 minute drive south of College Station. I was delighted to find that their little library had a castle! My kids loved it. We had fun reading giant books inside the castle and playing with puppets. After, the sweet librarians directed us to a nearby park where we played until it was time for Mama to explore a Navasota antique shop.We stopped in at Navasota Emporium on Washington Ave. That place goes on forever! I was in heaven, and so were my children... which is why it was time to head back to CS. Antiquing with kids is not an easy business. Our first Field Trip was a success! Navasota, we will be back. Do you know of other fun not-so-obvious places to visit in Navasota? Leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment